Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Have You Ever Received Compensation for Complaining?

I just ran across a web site advertising a book on how to "Write Complaint Letters for Fun and Profit" - the promo says the author once wrote a clever complaint letter to Ritz Carlton and was subsequently treated to a week in Hawaii in a presidential suite with all meals included.

Frankly, I think it is a load of crap, and I think the author is just out to sell books. Besides that, having a legitimate complaint is one thing, but looking for things to complain about just to score a freebie is hardly an esteemable act. It is downright loathesome, as all it does is make it harder for people with legitimate complaints to get compensation.

We see complaints here at CruiseMates all the time, they are almost funny in their predictability. You can always count on:

1. A smell that permeated the hallways
2. A random hair in the bathroom not belonging to the current occupants
3. A rug stain
4. Inedible food served in the buffet area (not all of it, just certain items)
5. Noise from somewhere they didn't want to hear
6. A rude staff member who upon hearing about the horrible cruise these people were having did absolutely nothing to help them except apologize.

Usually these things are just lead-ins to the BIG complaint, which sometimes are real problems, and sometimes not: Examples:

Not getting the requested dining times
Not being seated with other members in group
Sustaining an injury on the ship and being CHARGED for treatment by the doctor.
Sustaining an injury on a tour and expecting the cruise line to compensate them somehow.
Being charged for something they didn't buy
Not being allowed to cancel a tour at the last minute

In any case, recalling Brenda Moran and her "Professional Complaining for Fun and Profit," which led to Royal Caribbean banning her and her name becoming MUDD in several nespaper articles, I am just curious how many of you have had legitimate complaints and if you got satisfaction? If you did get satisfaction, how did you go about complaining, and if you did NOT get satisfaction, how did you go about complaining?

My goal here is to find out one thing:

What is the state of customer service at the cruise lines these days? Which cruise lines would you recommend as dealing very well with customer service issues?

(I also want to say - PLEASE do NOT judge posters in this thread. If people get pounced on for airing their complaints here we won't get a good response. Judge NOT and let the posts come in without comment on other's complaints - thank you!)
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Paul,
I will be the first to say yes we have. We are not complainers. We have missed ports, been on cruises during hurricanes and detoured to different debarkation city and generally go with the flow. But I believe we had legitimate complaints on our 9 day Crown Princess cruise last October out of NY.

We booked a particular mid-ship mini-suite not a gty cabin. About a week before the cruise I checked our reservation on the website and noticed our cabin had been changed. We looked it up to see it was a suite, the first cabin forward on the Lido deck. We were never asked nor informed of this "upgrade". We called our TA who in turn called Princess only to be informed that we indeed received a "complimentary" upgrade. We were excited about it being a suite because of the perks but VERY concerned about the location. We were assured it was a great cabin and we would have no problems.

The cabin itself was nice, slightly different configuration because of the location. We had a 2 tvs, dvd player, free mini-bar, flowers, a bottle of champagne, table and chairs on the balcony and loungers. The bedroom was a separate room and the bathroom was huge. Another plus during the week, our cabin was serviced before the others once we left for breakfast or dinner.

Here come the problems, yes plural. 1. We experienced heavy winds on the balcony so we in essence had an ocean view cabin except when we were in port. The cabin steward had to take the table and chairs off the balcony and move the loungers to the far end of the balcony for safety.

2. We were directly under the treadmills in the gym. Every morning, and I do mean every morning, for the first 6 days at 7 a.m., we were woken up by a herd of cattle above us. Many days it was all day long. We called and visited customer service every day and it would stopped for a period of time. We were assured once that they put a sign on the 3 treadmills above us but when DH went up there to check, there was no sign. He asked if he could use one of them and was told sure, go right ahead. He laughed, shook his head and came back to the cabin. I went straight up to the gym and asked for the manager but told she was at lunch and no one was in charge. They acted like they didn't know anything about the treadmill situation. Back down to the Customer Service desk but this time we were a little more assertive and the situation was finally taken care of.

We received a letter from them stating how sorry they were for the inconveniences. I sent a copy of the letter with our story to Princess. I asked for the difference in price between an ocean view cabin and a mini-suite which we originally paid for. We did receive a monetary compensation on a future cruise but not what we think it should have been. They knew we had another booked cruise in 4 months and suggested we apply it to that which we did.

Overall, we did not let any of this ruin our vacation nor our opinion of Princess and will cruise with them again soon.

One other time we wrote a letter to a hotel chain when we returned home to express disappointment in our stay because the pool and jacuzzi were closed for repair and we were not notified. We received partial credit for both nights on our credit card within a week.

If you don't receive what you paid for and handle the situation with respect, you will be respected back.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 2nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I only had to complain once on a cruise, had some terrible people in the next cabin, up all hours of the nite with CD's play loudly. Took a few calls to finally have them take the party elsewhere, and never any sorry note... Didn't expect it anyway, but it would of been nice and something they could of done, no big deal.

That was the only time I ever had something major to complain about, it was awful, getting waked up at 3AM every night with the loud music and talking.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Interesting - even I have to admit it is hard not to comment in a way that might sound like I am criticizing you, so please let note this is not directed at you.

A cruise ship should be designed intelligently enough that treadmills would not echo through the ceiling. I am glad you got your compensation. I do think they were pretty fair with their considering you had a beautiful suite. I guess they just bet that most people will not complain about what are obvious problems.

As far as the treadmills go, I am guessing someone from passenger services put them up, then at some point some know-it-all passenger saw perfectly good treadmills and took the sign down. Then the next shift of gym attendees came on =and they really didn't know about it.

Just a thought.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 01:30 AM
Admiral

Nope, no comp.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 06:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Mehawk - what was the problem & how did you complain?

I had a cruise on Royal Caribbean where I just plain thought customer service fell down terribly in the dining room. Specifically, the drink service. I was with a group of eight people, and the way I saw the wine being distributed I thought was terrible.

The assistant waiter played sommellier, pouring out to people at the table and then taking the bottle away - (it was a white wine, there were no ice buckets). He poured to people who said they wanted no more, and then walked away leaving other people's glasses empty, leaving them to order extra glasses only to find out later there was still wine in the bottle.

Adding up the wasted wine due to the waiter (rather than the guests) deciding who got wine, the waste of money was about $40 - for wine left on the table, and wine people who had to order when there was still wine in the bottle the waiters were not serving.

On top of this, dessert coffee service was ridiculously slow so the coffee arrived well after everyone else had eaten dessert and left the table. We were still charged and the head waiter was standing right there when it arrived. We said "SEE HOW LATE IT IS?" and he just smiled and shrugged. I wanted to smack him.

We also had terrible issues with passenger services not delivering a video of a "game show" our 'parents' had won. Basically they were promised a free copy of the show on DVD but getting it involved talking to five or six different people all of whom gave us wrong information (you have to buy it, or, no such video exists). We finally got it, by standing by reception for almost an hour on the last day of the cruise.

These are pretty piddling complaints in the big scheme of things, but I will say that a couple of follow up letters to the company home office did finally generate a phone call from the company. They listened to my complaints and did offer to refund some money to people's accounts.

What irked me most, though, was the powerlessness of the staff onboard to do anything. It was like complaining to the wind - they just didn't get the problem. One swarmy head waiter, after a long discussion from me about the wine & coffee, said to me "I have fixed the problem for you, I promise it will never happen to another passenger." What I eventually found out was that he had no authority to offer to make anything "right" like an after dinner coffee that was 1/2 hour late "on the house."

He had a suit like a maitre d' but he had no power at all. A waste of a job, in my opinion - he didn't do enough to provide good service and when made aware of bad service he didn't (and couldn't) do anything to fix it.

My point, though, was that the small compensation (which was all I deserved) did come after writing letters post-cruise. But I was surprised to see the onboard staff so inept, but there finally was some resolution. I do think customer service has eroded somewhat, however, when staff people hear problems these days and they don't make things right on the spot.

I ate in an Italian restarant last night. I asked if the menu was all "a la carte" and the waitress said yes, so I ordered an extra course costing $12. Turned out she was wrong, my entree came with two side dishes. I explained to her I felt I had been misled - and served and charged for more food than I could eat. So they took the $12 plate of Gnochi off the bill and packaged it up for me to take home. That is a restaurant I will return to.

I used to say "you will never get service in a land-based resturant like you will on a cruise ship" but it seems the tides have turned somewhat.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 06:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
I used to say "you will never get service in a land-based resturant like you will on a cruise ship" but it seems the tides have turned somewhat.
Paul, how can you compare cruise ship service to land service when you are talking about Royal Caribbean? I have no problems with Royal Caribbean; only real problem on our short cruise was luke warm food. And, I won't say that I have not had problems on Regent. I have had some serious issues wherein I did complain and got either sufficient apology, change in procedures, refunds on shore excursions, or future cruise credits.

I think I would have gone further with your dining room escapade. I would have been in the Hotel Director's Office with Maitre D in tow. There is no excuse for the Maitre D to act that way. As for the assistant waiter, that is a training problem. I hope to never find such a poorly trained waiter.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Admiral

O.K.,,,you guys talked me into telling my story. As you know, we've been doing Carnival almost exclusively for the last few years, and I usually book inside GTY. On our last cruise, (Glory) we once again booked inside GTY, and were assigned cabin R1456. That's the last cabin on the port side aft. I had a feeling it might not be the best in the world, but what the heck, you take the good with the not so good. It turned out to be great, EXCEPT when underway, there was a constant Groan noise from machinery below us. It got worse, the faster we sailed, but wasn't terrable IMO. While walking through the atrium, I decided to stop at the pursers desk and ask them if there was another cabin available, and explained the slight problem. I wasn't nasty, or demanding, just inquiring. The very nice girl at the desk, noted my Platinum status, and told me that we were sailing "full ship", but perhaps something could be done, and she'd let me know. I really didn't expect anything, but the next morning I got a nice note from the pursers desk, stating that they were aware of the problem, and were looking into possible solutions. The next morning, a note appeared under the door, stating that they were VERY sorry, but there simply wasn't any way to move us, but to make up for the inconvenience, they were posting a $380.00 credit to my sign-n-sail card. The lovely Mrs. Jones ran, not walked, to deck 5 to the shops, and needless to say we walked away with lots of goodies, and a very small sign-n-sail bill. I later joked with Vita that I'd take that cabin every time if they'd always compensate me in that manner. Once again, I didn't yell, scream, demand, or act nasty, I simply noted the slight problem with the cabin, and that was the outcome.

Ken
"Sky"
Old August 3rd, 2008, 02:10 PM
Admiral

I have had a couple of times when something went so wrong that I felt compelled to write a letter to the cruise line afterwards. The most recent was Carnival in May when we took our two nephews.
I always try to mix compliments in with any complaints. There is always something really wonderful to note and I like giving extra credit when it is due. Our waiter on this trip was the highlight, so I mentioned him by name and table number.
But, I also was very specific about the problems.
We received back a generous ship board credit offer for our next Carnival cruise, which is in November...enough for a couple of tours and still cover most of our tips. We are Platinum, so that may have helped.
The one that totally blew my mind, though, was a Carnival cruise a few years ago. There was a hurricane that came up near the end of our cruise and the captain opted to take us out of its way. Thank you, Captain!
But, no ports were nearby, so we ended up with an extra sea day. I was appalled by the attitudes of some of the passnegers, who were furious with the decision. Carnival did everything possible to make things easy. We never book airfare through the cruiseline and hadn't this time either. But, Carnival rebooked everyone's flights and absorbed all fees and costs. They also waived all ship to shore phone call charges, whipped up some extra yummy meals and entertainment, etc., etc. And people still lined up at the purser's desk to scream at them.
Anyway, that bothered me a lot. When a person or a corporation does everything possible to make a bad situation good, they should get pats on the back. And, when we disembarked, the media was all over it, but would only talk to people who were angry.
So, I wrote Carnival a letter saying that we had been impressed by the way things were handled and thanked them. I did it not to get anything, but just to say how happy we were with them.
Here's the kicker. Carnival wrote back and set up a WOW welcome aboard goodie pile for our next cruise. I did not expect that at all!
So, you want true class? Go Carnival!
Marty
Old August 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Paul, when I suffered through my auto accident back in July of 06, I had already paid for a cruise on the Conquest for October of that same year. I had not even thought of it afterwards for obvious reasons, I had to get my mental and physical characteristics back to wanting to survive and live again. No one else was aware of the cruise. On day 46 before my cruise, I ran across the documents and frantically called Carnival. I kept getting the automated system and I left messages for a return call. The next day, day 45 before the cruise, I tried again and this time I was able to speak to someone. I explained what happened and that I was not going to be able to experience the cruise because I was in the physical appliances and it was all I could do just to move from bed to the kitchen table. I would not be safe in a crowd of people. He said I would not be able to recoup my deposit because of the time period. I complained that I was mentally unstable before the time period and that even then I was still unstable. He understood and suggested that I send a doctor's notice and a copy of the accident report and hospital report to the Carnival offices and they should refund all my money. I did that and I still had to forfeit my deposit afterall with nothing more than an apology for having to keep my deposit. That is my unpleasant experience with complaining.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
Admiral

I have only had 2 small problems while on RCI. First was a bar order of 6 shots put on our Seapass card we didn't order or drink, the pursers office looked up the receipt ticket and took it off our bill, no comp given or expected. The Asst. Purser was very friendly and problem handled quickly.

Second problem a little larger. While on the Vision OTS a couple years ago, my wife and I applied for and was approved for the RCI Visa card, which the Loyalty Ambassador said we could add out current Seapass acct. on to and receive the double points while on the cruise. She handled all the arraingements. After getting home, we discovered RCI had charged the entire Seapass bill to both our cards, the CC we gave at the start of the cruise, and to our new RCI Visa card. We called RCI customer service and I had to write a letter of explination and fax it along with both CC statements to Miami. About a month later, the problem still wasn't fixed, so we resubmitted an updated letter asking them nicely to reverse the charges on the original CC as soon as possible. The second time we got a call from a customer service supervisor, apologizing for the delay. RCI reversed the charges on the correct CC, paid the interest as well, and gave us a $50 onboard credit on our next sailing in addition to the $100 OBC we already had for our Alaska sailing in Sept. 07. We didn't ask for any compensation, but the $50 was very nice of RCI.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old August 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

So far it sounds like most people not only received apologies and problems fixed, but also got some nice benefits.

Marc... as for my Head waiter, he was dressed like a Maitre D' and I had no idea he had no power to fix the situation I was complaining to him about. I only found that out later by talking to cusotmer service. I believed I had escalated to the right person - turns out I was wrong. I should have been talking to the maitre D'.

Keep in mind though, they were not MAJOR problems, just more like minor irritations. Plus, I hashed them out in another message a year ago, so I don't need to do that again.

Mehawk - sorry about your experience. So far Carnival seems to rate pretty highly. The issue of cruise cancellation is always sticky, and most cruise lines (all?) seem to be sticklers about not just allowing people to cancel at the last minute. Probably for logical reasons. If you did that all the time they would lose a ton of money - and insurance is available.

I will say there have been times when I thought a cruise line should have gone the extra mile - if the customer is platinum status, for example. At least offer a future partial credit.

CA Cruiser.. I remember that Carnival cruise with the extra sea day. I agree with you! Carnival went out of their way to compensate. People often say "they had an extra sea day of on-board revenue" well, they make far more in shore excursions than having a week of sea days.

Skymaster - I love your approach. It is true that honey goes much fuurther than vinegar. I am not saying that When a person is ticked off and they show it, the person on the receiving end should take note that there is a serious problem. Unfortunately, human nature works the other way. Complaining calmly and nicely is almost always a good bet.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

My one letter of complaint, got me a very nice letter and, a $300.00 certificate from Royal Caribbean.

Back in the 90's, believe it or not, the brochures did not notate, obstructed cabins. I purchased what the ta, thought was an outside cabin, so surprise, surprise, when we opened the door. We had a great cruise, but, I decided to write to them to tell, them I didn't get what I thought we were getting, and, how would we have known, since it was not notated.

I prefaced my letter, stating how much we enjoyed the Majesty, but this one thing disturbed me. The letter from RCI admitted this should be corrected, however, the next brochure was already printed, but rest assured, after that, all brochures would be clear on the matter. They included, my voucher, and needless to say I was thrilled to death. I was also able to use this, as a deposit as well, which I did....Kudo's to RCI!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 3rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I have had a couple of times when something went so wrong that I felt compelled to write a letter to the cruise line afterwards. The most recent was Carnival in May when we took our two nephews.
I always try to mix compliments in with any complaints. There is always something really wonderful to note and I like giving extra credit when it is due. Our waiter on this trip was the highlight, so I mentioned him by name and table number.
But, I also was very specific about the problems.
We received back a generous ship board credit offer for our next Carnival cruise, which is in November...enough for a couple of tours and still cover most of our tips. We are Platinum, so that may have helped.
The one that totally blew my mind, though, was a Carnival cruise a few years ago. There was a hurricane that came up near the end of our cruise and the captain opted to take us out of its way. Thank you, Captain!
But, no ports were nearby, so we ended up with an extra sea day. I was appalled by the attitudes of some of the passnegers, who were furious with the decision. Carnival did everything possible to make things easy. We never book airfare through the cruiseline and hadn't this time either. But, Carnival rebooked everyone's flights and absorbed all fees and costs. They also waived all ship to shore phone call charges, whipped up some extra yummy meals and entertainment, etc., etc. And people still lined up at the purser's desk to scream at them.
Anyway, that bothered me a lot. When a person or a corporation does everything possible to make a bad situation good, they should get pats on the back. And, when we disembarked, the media was all over it, but would only talk to people who were angry.
So, I wrote Carnival a letter saying that we had been impressed by the way things were handled and thanked them. I did it not to get anything, but just to say how happy we were with them.
Here's the kicker. Carnival wrote back and set up a WOW welcome aboard goodie pile for our next cruise. I did not expect that at all!
So, you want true class? Go Carnival!
Marty
Good story and I think you make a good point. From my limited experience, you can get almost as much out of writing a company to compliment them than you can when writing to complain.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
Admiral

I am almost too embarrassed to write about the two times I received compensation for altered itineraries.

First instance was New Year's Day 2003. We were notified that due to work that needed to be done on a pod, the ship was going to drop a port visit to Costa Rica, add a port visit to Cozumel, drop a sea day, and spend two overnights in Key West. For this "hardship," they gave us open bar for last week of cruise $500 per person future cruise credit and $100 per person shipboard credit.

Second instance was Alaska in Sep 06 on same ship. We had a pod problem coming out of Hubbard Glacier heading towards Whittier. They had to turn off one pod. We were also going into a storm. Therefore, we received an announcement during dinner on the penultimate night that we were going to be extended an extra day. It sure was hard having one more day of cruise for no extra money. The insurance company paid for additional costs due to rerouting air but cruise line came through with $400 per person future cruise credit for putting up with the "hardship."

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Our only issue to date was water in the cabin from above (maybe two decks from what I heard through the grape vine). We were presented a bottle of wine at dinner Friday night (not one we are necessarily fond of - pursers desk should have checked with our waiter ). We documented the situation on our comment card (in the space available) and got $100 off our sign-and-sail.

I wrote Carnival because I wanted to highlight the inefficiency of the purser's information desk - no explanation as to the source of the problem, weren't very helpful during the problem, but also wanted to highlight how effective we thought housekeeping was as well as other crew with whom we were impressed. Got the a promise of future discount that I don't know if we'll be able to use (a matter of timing - not abandoning Carnival).

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old August 4th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Captain

I've noticed a lot of negative comments about Celebrity's customer service but back in 2000 we got a very good response to what I think was a legitimate complaint. We booked an inside cat. on the bottom deck of the Horizon. When we checked in, we were informed that we had been "upgraded" one cat. Good news, right? Hardly. It turned out to be the upgrade from hell. We were moved up one deck midship DIRECTLY under the galley! Noise was really horrendous-trolleys rolling across the floor at all hours, dishwashers running. The only lull was between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. After the first night, we asked to be moved back to our original cabin but apparently it was occupied by someone in a group?? After the second night, we asked for another cabin,anywhere as long as we could get some sleep. The ship was fully booked. There was a TA in the cabin next to us and she could not believe the racket. We ended up napping a lot during the day! We made a point of going to customer service every day to register our complaint even though we knew we wouldn't be moved. As soon as we got home, we wrote to Celebrity and explained the problem in detail. Within a month, we received a letter of apology plus a credit of $750 per person on our next cruise which was close to a complete refund!. We applied it to a cruise on the Summit the following year and booked our first outside cabin. All in all, not a bad outcome.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Yes. DW and I were on the Monarch and a water main burst outside our cabin just above the door. We were flooded out at 2 o'clock in the morning. It was well after 3 before we got back into our cabin. The next day we were relocated to another cabin. When we returned home we called RCI and were told that the incident had already been reported and we were given 40% off our next cruise. That's 20% each. The vouchers came about 30 days later.
Old August 6th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Captain

We actually got a free 7 day cruise for two from RCCL.

Some of you have heard the story, but short version is the stevedores in New Orleans dropped my luggage overboard and it sank. Problem was they did not fess up to it for 2 days and RCCL told us our luggage would meet us in Cozumel, then Belize . . . etc. Finally they told us what had happened. During the cruise we got a lot of attitude from the purser staff and two bottles of wine. Oh, and $150 credit in the gift shop. Problem was the shops are stocked every other week anf this was week 2 so there was very little tochoose from. I did get a tshirt, pair of shorts, flip flops and a bathing suit. They loaned me formal wear although I had no stockings (I just can't stand to wear heels without hose)

We were never ugly or rude. Hey, it was a cruise and it got to be a big joke that I was "neck'ed on the high seas". People would actually buy me drinks (can ya' believe that?). Life's too short to be ugly unless it's you're only option.

When we got home I wrote a very long and humorous letter to RCCL asking the gents in charge to imagine life with a woman in the same clothes for 7 days in 100 or so square feet.

I thought they would give us a discount on a future cruise but was amazed when they gave a free cruise for 2. WE used it for our first sailing on the Adventure of the Sea and they gave us a fabulous cabin and a bottle of wine! Kudos to RCCL

Contrast that to NCL (my favorite line actually).
We were sailing the Dream to the Baltic capitals and have a 2 night hotel package, pre-cruise in London. We had guaranteed a late arrival (very late since we weren't arriving til 6 AM) but when we got to the hotel they were full so they gave our room away. We had to wait til almost 3 PM to get into a room.

When I wrote NCL they said there was nothing they could do since hotel stays are out of their hands. Hmph. Considering the cost of hotels in London it was a nice chunk of change. Oh well.

I think the key is to be clear about the problem - no whining, be nice and humor helps, include names, depts, etc. if possible.
Old August 8th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

These are all good stories with excellent turnouts. I admit I expected to hear some horror stories and real complaining, but I haven't really seen any.

The key certainly does appear to be following up with a rational letter explaining what was wrong. Most people say they also noted what was right about the cruise. That indicates a key component is to show them you plan to stay with the cruise line, which makes it worthwhile for them to keep you as a customer.

In addition - it means you are likely to take what appears to be their favorite form of compensationh - a future cruise credit.

It is the people who say "future cruise credit - no way am I sailing on this line again" that end up with smaller (or no) compensation.
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Captain

It was an interesting thread. I should add to my Aug. 8 post that, although we went to the front desk every day to lodge our complaint, we did so in a polite manner. No threats or tantrums. Although one day we did threaten to to spend the night on the couch in the Atrium!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old August 15th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Captain

Be VERY, VERY careful ...... ssshhhh!
I just read an article in a travel magazine about a cruise passenger complaining to RCI and being well compensated for their trouble. The article said that when the passenger posted how they benefited from complaining, the cruiseline banned them for life!
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Admiral

I have also found that when complaining, be it cruise related or anything else, to state that I am aware that it is not the fault of the individual to whom I am speaking. Unless of course it is. But, usually, the poor person did not create the problem, but has to deal with all complaints. Recognizing that often makes them more willing to try and help. And, if not, at least maybe I took a tiny bit of stress out of their day.
I will never forget the cruise where the wealthy, arrogant gent at our table happened to be in front of me at the pursers' desk when we were at sea to avoid a hurricane. He actually tried to blame it on the person manning the desk. I spoke up to remind him that a hurricane is legally referred to as an "act of God" for a good reason!
Marty
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:06 PM
First Mate

We sailed on Carnival and had a guarantee inside cabin - this was a last minute cruise. There was a problem with the plumbing bubbling up through the shower drain. The smell was terrible. We asked for a new cabin which we got one (another inside cabin). The following evening a bottle of red wine was brought to our dinner table, compliments of Carnival. It was on the menu for $70. We also got a letter appologizing for the inconvenience and a coupon for 10% off a future cruise.

We were happy with our new cabin change - and the rest was all unexpected but appriciated.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old August 17th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Passenger

I have cruised with Carnival twice, and my hubby once..... Okay...

So we took a babymoon cruise..... I was 6 months along, 7 months by the time the cruise was over, and had been experiencing morning sickness again( gotta love getting twice in your pregnancy, and only having 2 months total that you didn't feel like puking your guts out, lmao).

Anyways, there was a tropical storm in the Atlantic, and we ended up with some pretty nasty seas.

Now, I was already sick, but could easily handle it at that point...... Hubby on the other hand.... well, I always thought the whole turning a shade of green things was just exaggerating.... found out I was wrong on that one too, lol.

I went to the pursers desk to get some sea-sickness tablets from them, as they made an announcement that they had them for free since the waters were unexpectedly rough. They would no give them to me at first (being pregnant), and it took me almost an hour and talking to three different people before they realized that I really wanted them for my husband who was ill.

Well, I also ordered dry toast and ginger ale for our room, as that was the only thing I could really keep down myself, and it did show up on my account for all of a day (no soda card). But we got another serving of it without having to order it the next day and the chrage was removed from our card for both orders.

Overall, not a huge complaint, but I guess they felt bad about having the poor pregnant woman waiting so long just to get medicine for her sick hubby.
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Familiar Face

Last cruise on RCI was on Freedom in April 2008. Two problems.

1. Husband and a friend decided to go for a drink in the Viking lounge one night. The bartender kept walking past their table, took orders from people who came after them, and REFUSED to answer when either one of them tried to get his attention. THey even walked over to the bar and were STILL ignored. There was one waitress in the club and when the men were getting up to leave after about 45 mins without service, she pulled them aside and said that she would serve them but she couldn't be seen doing it as the bartender told her not to serve them. Neither of these men had had anything to drink that night, and were not being loud/rude/offensive, etc. It is worth noting that both are minorities, and the waitress was also a minority, while the bartender was not. The waitress mentioned the bartender said he did NOT serve minorities. One is american, the other, canadian. So the waitress serves the men their beers and they are on their way, but feeling very offended. We did go to the service desk and spoke with the manager of all the bars onboard (forgot this person's name and title), and he seemed very bored with the complaint. The men did mention how helpful the waitress was. He apologized and said he would look into the matter and let us know how it would be resolved. We never heard anything else. We did NOT write a letter of complaint afterward, but it seems like we should have.

Also on the same cruise, our cabin steward did not attend our room at all for 3 days of our 7 night cruise. We called for towels several times and it took HOURS to get towels. We eventually just went to the pool and got towels from there. It was much quicker, although probably not the preferable way to get towels. We also went to the service desk over this. They asked why we didn't say something sooner. We did this every day, and were asked the same thing each time. We never did see our stateroom attendant and finally asked another attendant if he would give us some towels. We did not even receive an apology for this.

However, we are still going on another RCI cruise. I've always cruised them.
Monarch OTS over and over and over again
Carnival Imagination 5/2009
Oasis OTS 2/2010
Grandeur OTS 3/2010
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Our lone complaint was on our Southern Caribbean cruise on the Crown Princess. We booked an island tour of St Lucia a combination bus/catamaran tour. The bus we boarded was an old Korean (judging from the signs above the door) intercity bus with a cracked windshied. The bus stalled out repeatedly on the mountainous terrain of the island and finally gave up completely at the plantation/lunch stop. Our quick thinking and resourceful guide commandeered a bus from another company to shuttle us to Sofriere and the volcano to keep us as close to schedule as possible. She repeatedly called her office to try and get a new bus while not missing a beat on pointing out the sights. We were picked up at the volcano by the same bus that the driver had managed to revive. Luckily it was all downhill back to town where we boarded the catamaran. The bus gave up again at that point. The catamaran was dangerously overcrowded and there were no indication that there were life preservers anywhere aboard. The "placid beach" we stopped at had an undertow that would suck an elephant out to sea and we were beseiged by peddlers on kayaks. Needless to say, we were a very bedraggled upset bunch when we arrived back in Casteries. We immediately filed a complaint with the tours desk who said that they would look into the matter. I got a call later that they would refund $40 of the $90 per person we paid. I was happy with that outcome. A day later they decided to give a full refund to everyone.

We did tip the driver and guide as the bad equipment was not his fault and she was an excellent guide and busted her buns to make things work.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Passenger

Quote:
It is worth noting that both are minorities, and the waitress was also a minority, while the bartender was not. The waitress mentioned the bartender said he did NOT serve minorities.
That's horrible!
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokiveil
I have cruised with Carnival twice, and my hubby once..... Okay...

So we took a babymoon cruise..... I was 6 months along, 7 months by the time the cruise was over, and had been experiencing morning sickness again( gotta love getting twice in your pregnancy, and only having 2 months total that you didn't feel like puking your guts out, lmao).

Anyways, there was a tropical storm in the Atlantic, and we ended up with some pretty nasty seas.

Now, I was already sick, but could easily handle it at that point...... Hubby on the other hand.... well, I always thought the whole turning a shade of green things was just exaggerating.... found out I was wrong on that one too, lol.

I went to the pursers desk to get some sea-sickness tablets from them, as they made an announcement that they had them for free since the waters were unexpectedly rough. They would no give them to me at first (being pregnant), and it took me almost an hour and talking to three different people before they realized that I really wanted them for my husband who was ill.

Well, I also ordered dry toast and ginger ale for our room, as that was the only thing I could really keep down myself, and it did show up on my account for all of a day (no soda card). But we got another serving of it without having to order it the next day and the chrage was removed from our card for both orders.

Overall, not a huge complaint, but I guess they felt bad about having the poor pregnant woman waiting so long just to get medicine for her sick hubby.
I am surprised you were able to take that cruise-isn't 24 weeks the cut off date for cruising? I thought all the cruiselines had that as a cut off date.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:53 PM
Admiral

David and I complained on one H.A.L. Veendam cruise out of Tampa. Our air conditioning didn't work at all, the toilet didn't flush, our phone was non-functional most of the time, the shower regularly stopped flowing just about the time we were all lathered up with soap and/or shampoo. The shower sewer would not drain, on the rare occasion that the shower actually worked.The worst part was the room that was always 85 degrees or higher. day and night. They offered us a little eight inch fan to solve the problem, no kidding!

After five days of complaints, we were finally given a $150 in a shipboard credit. A different cabin would have gone a long ways to make us happy. But this was not in the cards I guess. This made our cruise very uncomfortable.

Oh I forgot, our smoke alarm went off at least 20 nimes with no provocation and not at times wheny either of us were attempting to shower with water that did not flow most of the time. Finally their answer to this was to remove the battery, not repair it. UGH!