Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Passenger

Default Flight out of Vancouver home too early

Booking own air for cruise . The ship gets back at 8:00 A.M. Sat. morning have booked an 11:56 A.M. flight out of Vancouver. Will ask Holland to allow us on some of the first groups off. Do you all think I will have a problem making this flight ! Anyone that has come back through vancouver on a cruise what time were you able to reach the airport?
Would really ,really appreciate all your advice on this one as I know we will be exhausted upon returning and certainly don't want to miss our flight as I will be traveling with my mom.
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Flight out of Vancouver home too early

Hi Scooter,
We too had an 11:20 flight out of Vancouver and we were at the airport at 8:30, plenty of time. We did let the cruiseline know our fligh times etc., and were off the ship in no time. We also just took a cab to the airport, I was just sorry I didn't book an even earlier flight, but you should be fine with yours.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Micheled

I was told that we should make our airline after 1pm. I wish I knew we did not have to do that. I wonder if it is different for cruise lines.

Michele

Serenade of the Seas: Alaska
Old April 5th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Flight out of Vancouver home too early

Thanks so much Donna that really does put my mind to rest about the early flight.
Scooter.
Old April 5th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Admiral

If the cruiseline has the recommendation of 1pm- that would be my suggestion too. International flights still have a 2 hour window recommended. If your airline is one of the ones that has the direct clearing from the ship, then without a ship delay- should be fine. Unfortunately- with unloading thousands of passengers now from the mega ships- being "first off" may not be the option it once was when the 40,000 gt ships sailed. Be certain to take a cab and not wait for a bus transfer, if your airline is not participating in the expediated clearance.
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:28 AM
First Mate

What is this obsession with taking the earliest airline flt home after a cruise? Please listen to Micheled & Karen16 as they offer good advice - Sometimes cruiseships are delayed & unless u book 'air' thru them u are responsible for whatever happens - like missing an early flt. Have had this happen to friends - it cost them more than double to buy new airline tickets after the ship was delayed docking & they missed their flt not to mention spending almost a full day waiting for the next available flt home. Heard about another foursome who got a cab and it was in an accident - yup - they missed their flt too - so easy to do if u have a tight schedule! Sometimes even getting a cab is difficult with hundreds of people all needing them at the same. Why put yourself thru this stress just to arrive home a couple of hrs earlier? Now we take our flts after 1 pm & never worry if we will make it or not. YES u can do it earlier but u are gambling...feel lucky??? Happy cruisin'!
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Passenger

cruisecrazy

In order to get home before our local airport closes for the night we had to book a flight that leaves Vancouver at noon. We only have an hour between flights at our connecting airport. The flight we booked on our preferred airline has no flights leaving after noon for the eastern US. We will still be getting in just prior to the airport closing. I would have preferred to leave Vancouver much later but it was not possible. Staying an extra day in Vancouver was also not something we could do. Perhaps this is why others must book an early flight also. Just a thought!
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Flight out of Vancouver home too early

Also forgot that there is a three hour time difference so we are actually leaving Vancouver at three pm est.
Old April 6th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Yeoman

go to www.bcpassport.com. you can look at the cruise ship schedule for the day you get in and see how many ships will be docking that morning. this also will make a difference of how busy the airport will be. good luck.

Old April 6th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Admiral

Another thought. Cruisers may also be temped to book earlier flights due to cost? A factor to consider- they are lower due to cruise passengers not booking them. (not within the recommended timeframe) Last year a poster made a very costly mistake, booking a 9am flight that was hundreds of dollars cheaper then later ones. He didn't realize you can't just "walk off" the ship at 0700. Be certain to print out all the restrictions of your ticket and HAVE phone numbers handy if needed. It is possible some very restrictive tickets may have no value if they aren't changed before the departure.
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:44 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Flight out of Vancouver home too early

I can certainly appreciate that u or others may absolutely have to do it - I am simply attempting to point out the pitfalls so u may make an informed decision. My hope is that u will arrive home safely & make all flts on time & have happy cruising!
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:09 AM
daffomom

We are saling on the Mercury to Alaska 4 weeks from today....out of San Francisco...our flight home leaves at 12:35..the latest we could get...we are flying on Northwest as we had vouchers from taking a bump our last cruise...we will not get back into Grand Rapids, MI until 11:30 pm..then we still have an hour and a half drive....by the time you factor in the 3 hour time difference and a layover in Detroit...

I think most people headed to the Eastern standard time zone that have to make at least one connecting flight are in the same boat..& staying over another night is not always an option..time wise or cost wise..
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:40 PM
First Mate

Daffomom - Seems to me that - yes - a few folks do have to get home quickly for whatever reason however, that said, another nite in the disembarkation area booked online can be quite cheap and with the cost of a cruise, etc you could save a bit more and see more by staying over - u might never be that way again. Anyway, hope u make it home safely after a great cruise..Happy cruisin'!
Old April 17th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Admiral

It really shouldn't be a problem, but it will depend on the number of ships in port that day, the more ships, the busier the airport will be. With security, etc Vancouver airport can be very busy.